Thursday, December 31, 2009

... or "Leaving Prologue Behind and Living My Story"


Project 365...

The moment I became aware that people, all over the place, are part of a project in which they take one photo every day for 365 days, I knew it was something I wanted to do myself. I'm the girl who waited for school yearbooks with rich anticipation. I've always loved the recording of  time. It's proof, I guess, of memories shared and moments lived. This is why I love to write in my journal. And, yes, this is why I love photography.

Well, I gave it a go this past Fall, but I stopped when the family had a battle with that nasty but famous virus. Today the new year is rolling around and I can't think of a better time to start fresh.
I do better with structure, so I'm adding a couple of guidelines for myself. I may add to these over the next few days, but I want to keep some of my project spontaneous.

- Saturday will be a weekly photowalk. I will choose my image for that day from this walk.

- Sunday will be a self-portrait. Yep. Every week.

I'm sure I'll find other things to help structure the thing, but that's it for now. 

The scripture from Psalms keeps running through my head...the one about "teach us to number our days"...
Here it is. From The Message:



Oh! Teach us to live well!
      Teach us to live wisely and well!
   ... Surprise us with love at daybreak;
      then we'll skip and dance all the day long.
   Make up for the bad times with some good times;
      we've seen enough evil to last a lifetime.
   Let your servants see what you're best at—
      the ways you rule and bless your children.
   And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us,
      confirming the work that we do.
      Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do! 



-Psalm 90:12-17



These are some of my "days" since my last 365 attempt:








These are in no way perfect. In fact, most of them are during my photography class at Kilns' College while I was just learning to shoot manual. But I like, in particular, the ones I've included. I think, for me, what outweighs the technical perfection we all strive for is the "art" of the thing.
I suspect that will hold true for the duration of this project.


So, to say "goodbye" to 2009, I 'm adding a few of my original 365 beginnings:





 You get the idea. On to greater things!


2 comments:

  1. I love all of your pictures, Mom! Especially of me, because, you know, I'm your favorite. :D Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy a new year of 365. Looking forward to a glimpse at your year. :)

    ReplyDelete